Young SA driver doing battle at 24-Hour Nürburgring

Volkswagen Motorsport driver Jonathan Mogotsi has earned his Nürburgring Permit A ‘Ring Licence’ to qualify to race in the legendary circuit’s 24-Hour from 18 – 19 May 2026.

26 V Wmogotsi1

After the NLS1 4-Hour was cancelled due to snow earlier in the year, it came down to Jonathan’s outing in the NLS2 4-Hour race on 21 March 2026.

“That’s job done,” Mogotsi excitedly admitted after last Saturday’s 24-Hour race. “I have earned my Nürburgring Permit A, which allows me to compete in the epic 24-Hour race in May. It’s been an eye-opener and I have learned so much in the past few weeks. Video games come nowhere near showing how incredibly narrow, bumpy and blind the corners are,” he says.

“I return for NLS3 on 11 April 2026 for the final preparation of the big race day, the Nürburgring 24-Hour over the weekend of 18 and 19 May. Germany has been phenomenal and I am eternally grateful to Volkswagen Motorsport and our partners that have made this opportunity, and my Nordschleife experience a reality,” Jonathan adds.

Volkswagen Motorsport South Africa veteran, Jonathan is racing as part of the Max Kruse Racing team, which runs a trio Volkswagen AG supported Golf 8 TCRs in the Nürburgring NLS series and the 24-Hour.

More Industry News stories

Pinewood.AI expands platform with two new modules

Pinewood.AI expands platform with two new modules

Pinewood.AI has added two new embedded modules to its Business Intelligence Solution, giving dealers and OEMs greater insight into financial performance and the customer journey, it says.

  • 22 May 2026
Value added products key to dealership survival

Value added products key to dealership survival

Margins are shrinking, customers are under financial strain, and competition is intensifying across South Africa’s motor retail sector. Against this backdrop, dealerships are being forced to rethink how they remain profitable while still building customer trust and long term sustainability.

  • 22 May 2026
Ford bets on seven new models to reclaim ground in Europe

Ford bets on seven new models to reclaim ground in Europe

Ford will launch seven new models in Europe by 2029, it announced recently, as it seeks to grow its flagging passenger car sales, fend off fierce competition from Chinese rivals and maintain an edge in the continent's commercial vehicle market.

  • 21 May 2026